View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 06:33 AM   #6
Zorro

Default John P Mulhall, MD MSKCC 646-422-4359

I had prostate cancer surgery June of 2007 and have been in a penile rehab program since December of last year. I inject 10 units what Sloan Kettering calls "Bix-Mix" three times a week and take 25mg of Viagara on the off days. The hope is that the nerves will heal in time, but the continued erections save the erectile tissue from atrophy. (Awfully personal info for a message board...huh?) So here I am sixteen months later and getting a spontaneous chubby feels like a success. But there's no usable erection without injection and I have to inject whether I have sex or not...apparently erections 3 times a week are essential.

I tell this story because the urologist that did my surgery was only concerned with getting rid of the cancer. Sexual function was a tertiary issue for him and I have to admit not being able to get an erection devasated me. ...anyway a girl I started dating is a nurse practioner and found a Dr @ Sloan Kettering who specializes in post-injury/surgery erectile dysfuntion. The first time I saw him I spent the visit crying like a baby, but the ability to have sex and just as importantly hope has been a blessing.

The first visit was around $300 bucks and I'm sure they'd give a discount for a Veteran or make some payment arrangement. More importantly as a fellow veteran I would be willing to contribute to the cost of the visit. The medicine is cheap....about 6-8 months is $70 bucks.

...anyway this fellow R&F fan deserves to thanked for his willingness to speak about what most of us would fear to discuss in public.

So, I say fuck the VA...let's get this guy an appointment with Dr Mulhall @ Sloan Kettering and we as fellow men and members should cover the cost.