Thread: Mass Effect 3
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 04:46 AM   #69
realmenhatelife
Nothing starts the day like droning mopery.
I do enjoy lentils.
I just called my step sister and rubbed my dick on the phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Impact View Post
Yes you can, particularly when Bioware always marketed the games as just that, a trilogy where the choices you make in every game determine the final outcome.

ME2 had DLC (free) that simulated the choices from ME1 for your save. Similarly if you start a new save in ME3 it asks you questions to set the important things from ME1 & 2. The indoctrination video isn't something BW put out, it's fans reaching blindly for some kind of deeper meaning to the rushed mess of the ending. That's the real reason for all of this, the old creative lead left in the middle of this game (hence the awesome Quarian/Geth & Genophage storylines being mixed in with the nonsensical Miranda storyline) and EA was pushing to get a product out the door with a new creative lead, that's really it. If the indoctrination videos turn out to be true it's only because Bioware watched them and decided that was a better idea for an ending than they had.
I think the indocrination theory is too sound to say it's fans 'reaching blindly' or to speculate that Bioware would retcon the game to match up with it. For starts if you could prove you originated the theory which was then appropriated by Bioware you could probably sue their balls off, especially if Bioware couldn't provide scripts, storyboards etc showing that the idea originated with them.

I dont think the point of the game is to wind up with a half hour of cut scenes at the end. That isn't fun at all to me. And there is material there during the participation of the actual events that to me removes the need to revisit it at the end. I dont need to see the Krogan fighting because there was plenty of Krogan story during the Krogan missions etc.

If they were going for subtlety you're in a tight spot. Video games aren't traditionally about subtlety. I do know I felt that the best moral option to choose at the end was maybe not as moral as I originally thought now that I'm sitting with it.
I chose to 'take control' of the reapers which is 1- what I was telling the illusive man is impossible, 2- does not destroy the reapers. It goes against the idea that soliders sacrifice themselves and commanders need to make those decisions (ending all artificial life) which is a feature of your own and 2 or 3 other characters archs. And there's also using the language 'ascending' and the decidedly christ like imagery of that ending. Even considering that the game could have 'indoctrinated' me as a player have made me enjoy the ending 10 x more than most other games.
realmenhatelife is offline   Reply With Quote